Saturday, May 26, 2012

Unplugged

My dear friend Michael Sagun takes one day a week to live "unplugged".  Some would call this his Sabbath day. He allows himself to live free of facebook, twitter, instagram, email, smartphone, etcetera for one day a week in order to enjoy and live in the beauty of God's creation around him that are so easily forgotten because of said distractions.

I'm inspired to follow his trend. For this long weekend I am "unplugging" myself from technology in order to seek God's face, to fast and pray over what God's showing me and doing in my life and just be. Haha I feel like this sounds kind of hippy, but call it what you want. Just dont be suprised if I throw you a peace sign if I run into you this weekend ;)

This lifestyle seems so foreign and uncomfortable to me, but I know it's important; important to myself, but I would argue its also pretty important to God.  Lately I've felt so busy and distracted.  Like the video I posted Wednesday, I often feel like God's waving his arms in my face for attention, but Im too busy being caught up in the world's ways to realize it. That imagery breaks my heart - I dont want to continue living like that. 

On the same token, I was reminded this week of how dependant we have become of technology.  Our server went down at work on Tuesday for no more than an hour, but it blew my mind how lost everyone in our office felt - as if the world could not go on until the computers were fixed.  This sounds so crazy as I type it out, but thats the honest reality we live in. Earlier this year, I was watching my boss' four-year-old son at work.  We were playing a childrens game on the computer and he kept trying to touch the screen to activate the buttons - the idea of using a mouse was foreign to him. He couldnt comprehend the screen not being a touchscreen. Welcome to the 21st century.

We can have basically anything we want, in a moment's notice, at the click of a button.  When I say "we" I dont mean all of humanity.  Not by a long shot.  The shocking reality is that "we" as American's own 80% of the world's resources.  Thats insane.  That leaves only 20% of resources to be shared by the rest of the world. That makes my stomach hurt.  That also makes me wonder why we are so unhappy and never satisfied. Could it be that we've gotten so accustomed to having whatever we want that having our needs met is not considered a blessing or a gift from God any longer?  I would argue YES.

So here's to powering down this weekend, getting back to what's important and living simply and quietly. If this post speaks to you, perhaps its a good idea to unplug with me this weekend.  Power down your electronics for a day or two and just bask in the beauty of our Creator and all of the blessings he has flooded your life with. Spend a day fasting and praying over the decisions you have to make in the days/weeks/months ahead and about what God is knocking at your heart and wanting to lead you in.  I believe that when your heart and mind is quiet and "unplugged", the spirit is able to speak more clearly because you are tuned into the right things.

Im excited to hear about what God shows us through this experience and I believe He will bless this comittment to seek Him and dwell in Him in new, unique and creative ways this weekend. 


XOXO

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment